New Lenox library board schedules computer replacements
The New Lenox Public Library District Board of Trustees met Aug. 8 to schedule computer replacements.
Here are the meeting's minutes, as provided by the board:
"The New Lenox Public Library Board of Trustees is located at 120 Veterans Pkwy, New Lenox, IL 60451."
NEW LENOX PUBLIC LIBRARY DISTRICT BOARD MEETING August 08, 2016
The regular meeting of the New Lenox Public Library District Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m., by President Tatro on Monday August 8th, 2016, at the New Lenox Library, 120 Veterans Parkway, New Lenox, Illinois.
Present were Trustees: Edward A. Tatro, Ann Podoba, Bonnie Ulstad, Michelle Monbrod, and Louis Broccolo. Colette Loecke joined the meeting at 7:01 p.m.
Absent: Linda Evans
Staff present: Dana Russell, Interim Director and Youth Services Manager, Michael Stubler, Business Manager, Alex Vancina, IT Manager and Recording Secretary.
• Meeting minutes from the July 11th regular meeting and the July 25th special meeting were reviewed. The minutes from both meetings were unanimously approved on a motion by Trustee Broccolo, seconded by Trustee Podoba.
Audience to Visitors
• Interim Director Russell shared a positive email from a patron about the Library’s Science Club program and an article from the New Lenox Patriot about the Birds of Prey program.
• Trustee Monbrod made a motion, seconded by Trustee Loecke, to accept the Treasurer’s Report and approve disbursements in the about of $73,471.66 for July 2016. The motion passed by unanimous roll call vote.
• Interim Director Russell shared that the Village Public Works department is planning some sewer repairs for the condos east of the Library. They will need to temporarily remove some of our bushes, but they intend to restore the landscaping to its original condition upon completion. Dominic will get a written agreement for the Board to review prior to the work starting.
• There were two false fire alarms at the Library while the building was unoccupied on August 5th for the staff in-service day. Dominic is investigating the cause.
Staff Reports Marketing/Outreach News
• We are working on outreach and marketing material promoting Friends of the Library membership, the Friends rummage sale, and 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten.
• New computers have been ordered for the scheduled replacement of some computers in Circulation and the Tech Center.
Circulation Department News
• In June, 23 patrons with accounts in collection paid $ 812.05 in fees and returned materials valued at $ 304. July stats not available at this time.
• Received a check of $732.25 from ECommerce for the months of April-June. ECommerce is a convenient method of paying fees through the library’s website.
• Circulation Clerks and Pages were busy with the summer reading program with check- outs and returns.
• The volunteers were very helpful during summer reading time.
• Adam DeVries’, Page, last day was July 30th. Adam graduated from high school and is pursuing a career in welding.
Adult Services Department News
• Our newest Reference Assistant, Susan Mountford, started Wednesday, July 27th.
• We had 153 Teens and 211 Adult patrons sign up for Summer Reading.
• We have also seen an increase in Teen activity since PokemonGo has started.
Youth Services Department News
• YS provided summer reading to approximately 400 children through Alissa’s outreach efforts.
• YS had just over 1400 children register for the summer reading program, holding steady from last year.
• 1000 Books before Kindergarten, a nation-wide program promoting regular reading to children before they enter kindergarten, will start after Labor Day. It will be an ongoing program.
Building and Grounds
• A Freon line leak was repaired on the first floor and the system was recharged. It is working properly now.
• Dominic is working with Precision Controls to install a new air conditioner in the server room.
• Furniture in the Adult Services office, and in the Digital Media Lab, is being rearranged to make better use of space.
• Carpet cleaning has been completed for Circulation and staff office areas. Stains have been spot cleaned throughout the Library.
• Program attendance is up from last July. Patron visits are up slightly.
Committee Reports A. Personnel: None B. Finance: None C. Building and Grounds: None D. Policy: None E. Fundraising: None
• A motion was made by Trustee Ulstad, seconded by Trustee Loecke, to approve the appointment of Michelle Krooswyk as Library Director. The motion passed with all in favor. Ms. Krooswyk’s first day will be September 12th.
• A motion was made by Trustee Podoba, seconded by Trustee Broccolo, to approve the final draft of the budget and appropriation ordinance. The motion passed with all in favor.
• A motion was made by Trustee Monbrod, seconded by Trustee Podoba, to approve the IPLAR draft. The motion passed with all in favor.
• A motion was made by Trustee Loecke, seconded by Trustee Broccolo, to approve the addendum to the Library’s travel policy. The motion passed with all in favor.
• The Board discussed the recent amendment to the Illinois Liquor Control Act allowing alcohol in district libraries. The Policy Committee will select a date to meet and draft a new policy for the Library.
• The Board reviewed Serving Our Public Ch. 4 – Facilities. The Library meets all of the recommendations.
• The Board reviewed an ALA trustee training video on library advocacy.
Adjournment Trustee Monbrod moved and Trustee Podoba seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:17 p.m. The motion passed with all in favor.
_______________________________________ Colette Loecke, Secretary
Respectfully Submitted, Alex Vancina Interim Recording Secretary