Homer Glen festival committee approves budget
The village of Homer Glen and Homer Township Parade & Festival Committee met Jan. 27 to approve the budget.
Here are the meeting's minutes, as provided by the committee:
VILLAGE OF HOMER GLEN and HOMER TOWNSHIP PARADE AND FESTIVAL COMMITTEE
Meeting Minutes Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 6:30 p.m.
Administration Building Community Room 14240 W. 151st St. - Homer Glen
CALL TO ORDER The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Co-Chairman Carlo Caprio.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
ROLL CALL: ESTABLISH QUORUM Present: Carlo Caprio, Mike Costa, Mary Pat DeGrassi, Mike De Vivo, Ann Holtz, Ed Kalas, Chris Locacius, Mike McGowan, and Debbie Stevens.
Absent: Linsey Sowa
Also present: Dave Bricker and Sue Steilen
AMENDMENTS TO AGENDA - None.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Mary Pat DeGrassi made a motion to approve the minutes of the October 18, 2016 meeting. Second was made by Mike Costa.
All Were in favor. Motion carried.
OLD BUSINESS - (Motion or Action may be requested)
a. Intergovernmental Agreement
The Intergovernmental Agreement has been signed by all parties.
b. Beverage Vendor
Ann Holtz recommends using the same beverage vendor, Lakeshore Beverage. The Committee agreed by consensus. The staffing for stocking provided by the vendor on Friday and Saturday evening worked well. The wine ran out, so the wine order should be increased. A suggestion was made to reduce the number of varieties of beer offered. A review of last year's sales and this year's beverage choices will be discussed at the next meeting,
c. Food Vendors
Ann Holtz is working on combining the three documents formerly used for food vendors into one document/contract. She will send a letter to the existing food vendors asking for a $100 deposit as a commitment, which will also be used for the cleaning fee deposit. The commitment deadline for the existing food vendors will be March 1. There was discussion about requiring food vendors to be at the fest on Sunday. This will be addressed at the next meeting. Holtz would also like to move the date up for the food vendor meeting by May 1. The number of food vendors will be kept at six.
Maggie Speaks and Infinity have committed to the festival. Carlo Caprio is working with Scott Bass of Bass/Schuler entertainment to book bands. Some possible ideas for a Sunday draw include the Blooze Brothers (who would also be willing to be in the parade), and Nick Pontarelli. Other ideas include Jonny Russler and the Beach Bum Band, Jimmy Herter and the New Invaders, RockStar Rodeo and the Neverly Brothers.
The kids liked the bouncy house before the fireworks, but it was too labor intensive and distracted from the carnival and fireworks. Consensus was not to offer a bouncy house. Debbie Stevens will talk to Mr. D about performing at the fireworks.
The drainage project should keep the lots dryer. Everything looks good.
The vendor tent option has been changed to the family tent, and the price was lowered to $500. Ann Holtz has changed the cover letter to reflect an opportunity to be included in the Summer Fun Guide. There were a couple of sponsors that Mike De Vivo handled for the fireworks (Kenwood and Meijer). Ann Holtz will contact Kenwood and talk to Debbie Stevens about contacting Meijer. A suggestion was made to include sponsor names on the back of the poster. Debbie Stevens will check on the cost.
Mike Costa receive a quote of $16,021 for the tents, which includes the 60x100 tent used for vendors last year. If the tent size is reduced to 20x60 as used in the past for a family dining dent, the amount is reduced by $3200. The total amount will be around $12,000. Costa will ask for an updated quote. There were 16 chairs missing upon return last year. Ed Kalas will count chairs when they are delivered to verify the quantity delivered.
Mike De Vivo will contact the provider soon. One theme being considered is “Sweet Home Chicago.”
j. 2017 Budget
The total budget amount of $118,000 will stay the same as last year. Sue Steilen will reprint the proposed 2017 budget sheet for the next meeting with a note that the committee is recommending the same budget as 2016.
NEW BUSINESS - (Motion or Action may be requested) Mike McGowan will update the website. Concerns about festival role commitments in light of the upcoming election were addressed. Mike Costa has agreed to serve on the committee after the election through the fest. Mike De Vivo will continue to work with the fireworks portion regardless of the election outcome. Color guard has been lined up for the parade. Lt. Jim Holuj will come to the next meeting. The different security groups need to be notified of the fest dates to make sure the time is allotted for staffing.
NEXT MEETING - February 21 Next agenda will include volunteers, parade, and security.
Mary Pat DeGrassi made a motion to adjourn. Second was made by Ann Holtz. Meeting adjourned at 7:46 p.m.
Organizations in this Story
14400 W 151st St
Homer Glen, IL - 60491